Friday 22 December 2017

Radstock Museum, Hinton Charterhouse and Combe Hay, in North East Somerset

First stop, Radstock Museum, which I probably have visited before, but can't remember. £5 to get in, but the ticket lasts a year.
Currently they're getting an exhibition together that covers the area's mining legacy, and very interesting it's looking too. Seriously, you kids don't know you're born!
It's not open all week so check their website for opening times and avoid disappointment.




  Coming out, I noticed there is a very popular pub across the way, just in case you need something stronger than the tea or coffee offered by the museum.
Incidentally, there is free car parking opposite the museum.

 The reason we're out again, is that the Pride and Joy wanted to do last week's cycle path again, but this time to Willsbridge, home of the Avon Valley Railway. So some more exploring of the area while we're waiting for him.
Consequently, it was up to the Other Half to provide a bit of a mystery tour. Something with lots of photo opportunities, as I had charged my mobile phone up especially ( I will admit, dear reader, that I let you down on our previous trip, to Wellow- my phone was dead before I'd drunk my coffee! Oh, the pictures you missed!)

So, the first port of call was the curiously named Hinton Charterhouse. Some very pretty cottages and church- dedicated to John the Baptist, if I remember rightly

So, a gentle wander round was in order, but parking was tricky and rather full of nettles.





Next, along windy (as in wind the bobbin up, not breezy) and narrow lanes to the little village of Combe Hay.

Again, a lovely little church and lots of stone houses.









I thought the cottages below looked like they had faces- the roof as hair covering the eyes. No? Okay, I'll keep taking the pills.











As you can see, they're not very wide- bijou or cosy, I think the estate agents might say. Unfortunately, our wanderings were curtailed by a phone call from the Pride and Joy, telling us he'd arrived at the railway station and could we come and pick him up.

Myself and the Other Half are now looking at some more challenging routes for the Pride and Joy, possibly something that takes the same length of time as eating a pub lunch, including a coffee or two, Though as autumn is waving at us from the hilltops, that might not be until next summer

No comments:

Post a Comment